Marie J. Blockowitch
Ethan O’Shea is a Principal of the firm and has been a member of the Litigation Department at Hamburg, Rubin, Mullin, Maxwell & Lupin for 14 years. He currently chairs the firm’s Employment Law Group. His practice focuses on employment law, commercial litigation, and criminal law. Ethan has counseled corporate and individual clients on a variety of employment, commercial and criminal matters. Ethan also appears regularly before the PA Human Relations Commission, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and has tried cases in the federal and state courts throughout Pennsylvania. Prior to joining the firm, Ethan was a Senior Deputy District Attorney with the Bucks County District Attorney’s Office, where he served as a member of the Child and Sexual Abuse Unit and prosecuted a wide variety of criminal cases in the Court of Common Pleas. Before joining the District Attorney’s Office, Ethan served as a Law Clerk for The Honorable Edward G. Biester, Jr., Bucks County Court of Common Pleas. Ethan is a member of the Pennsylvania, Bucks and Montgomery Bar Associations. He has lectured for the Pennsylvania Municipal Authorities Association, Montgomery Bar Association and People’s Law School concerning employment law and employment law. Ethan is secretary of the Montgomery Bar Association Trial Lawyers Section, chair of the Montgomery Bar Association Employment Law Committee, and past vice-chair of the Criminal Defense Committee. Ethan serves as Secretary of the Plymouth Community Ambulance Association, has been a volunteer for Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Montgomery County and Bucks County, and has served as a board member for the Montgomery County Victim-Offender Conferencing program. A graduate of Bucknell University with a degree in International Relations (B.A. 1990), Ethan received his J.D. from The George Washington University National Law Center in 1993. In 2003, he attended the Academy of Advocacy of Temple University.
- Employment Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Criminal Defense
- Real Estate Litigation
- The George Washington University Law School, (J.D.1993)
- Bucknell University (B.A.1990)
- Goldsmiths’ College, University of London, Fall Semester 1988
- Academy of Advocacy, Temple University, Summer 2003
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
- To Catch a Thief: Understanding the World of Trade Secrets and Making Non-Competes Work for You,” HRMM&L Business Advisory Group Seminar, June 21, 2017
- “Supreme Court Rules that Former Employees Have No Right to Review Their Personnel Files,” HRMM&L Business Advisory Group website, June 20, 2017
- Dept. of Labor Announces Final Overtime Rule Re Overtime Regulations, HRMM&L Business Advisory Group website, June 30, 2016
- EEOC Files Sexual Orientation Discrimination Lawsuits, HRMM&L Business Advisory Group website, March 9, 2016
- Legal Alert: Volunteers for Christmas, HRMM&L Business Advisory Group website, December 10, 2015
- The Perils of Independent Contractor Misclassifications, Employee Background Checks, and Workplace Investigations, CLE seminar presenter, Montgomery Bar Association, August 21, 2013
- Criminal Culpability for Unintended Acts and Consequences, CLE seminar presenter, Montgomery Bar Association, January 29, 2013
- EEOC Enforcement Guidance on Consideration of Arrest and Conviction Records in Employment Decisions, HRMML Employment Law Alert, June 15, 2012
- Lecturer, Identity Theft Issues, employee group of a local business
- Lecturer, Criminal and Employment Law
- People’s Law School re Pennsylvania Criminal Procedure
- Pennsylvania Municipal Authorities Association and Montgomery Bar Association re Family Medical Leave Act.
Professional and Civic Memberships
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Bucks County Bar Association
- Montgomery Bar Association
- Secretary, Trial Lawyers Section (2015)
- Montgomery Bar Association
- Chair, Employment and Labor Law Committee (Current)
- Vice-Chair, Employment and Labor Law Committee (2007)
- Member, Employment and Labor Law Committee (2005, 2007-Current)
- Vice-Chair, Criminal Defense Committee (2010)
- Member, Criminal Defense Committee (2000-Current)
- Radnor Youth Soccer Program – Coach
- Plymouth Community Ambulance Association Board of Directors
- Current Secretary
- Montgomery County Victim-Offender Conferencing Program
- Past Board member
Honors and Awards
- Listed as “Awesome Attorney” for Criminal Defense, DWI/DUI, Traffic Law, and Employment/Labor Law, Suburban Life Magazine, 2012
Ethan is an avid soccer, tennis and platform-tennis player, and is active with his three children’s PTO and community youth sports programs.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a professional corporation in a suit filed by a former employee alleging age discrimination.
- Assisted medical device manufacturing company in successful defense of employment discrimination claim.
- Obtained defense verdict for principals of construction consulting firm against a claim made under Pennsylvania’s Wage Payment and Collection Law.
- Obtained a confidential 6-figure settlement from a multinational pharmaceutical company for an employee resulting from the company’s violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Represented numerous criminal defendants in a variety of felony and misdemeanor cases.
- Obtained not-guilty verdict following a jury trial on all felony charges for a client charged with numerous offenses in a high-profile assault case.
- Obtained not-guilty verdict following a non-jury trial for client wrongfully accused of assaulting estranged spouse.
- Successfully argued pre-trial motions leading to the dismissal of charges against numerous clients because of unlawful searches and violations of the Rules of Criminal Procedure.
- Negotiated guilty pleas on behalf of many clients leading to a reduction of charges and/or reduction of sentence.
Title Insurance Defense
- Represent mortgage lenders in various actions to establish the validity and/or priority of the clients’ mortgages, and represent property owners to defend claims against title.
- In a case of first impression in Pennsylvania, successfully obtained a judgment on behalf of a mortgage lender against a competing lender whose mortgage was declared void due to an improper notarization of the loan documents.
BUSINESS LAW ALERT: Federal Judge Blocks DOL’s Overtime Regulations
November 25, 2016
Dept. of Labor Announces Final Overtime Rule Re Overtime Regulations
June 30, 2016
HRMM&L In Brief April 2016 Issue
March 31, 2016
Ethan O’Shea Appointed Chair of Montgomery Bar Association’s Employment and Labor Law Committee
February 11, 2016
Legal Alert: Volunteers for Christmas
December 10, 2015
Business Advisory Group Hosts Wage Payment and Employee Classification Tutorial December 9, 2015
November 16, 2015
HRMM&L In Brief July 2015 Issue
August 6, 2015
The Danger of Independent Contractor Misclassification Grows
July 31, 2015
Business Advisory Group to Hold Disability Claims and Medical Leave Seminar May 7, 2015
April 19, 2015
Ethan O’Shea Elected Secretary of Montgomery Bar Assn’s Trial Lawyers Section
February 4, 2015
Ethan O’Shea Named Chair of Montgomery Bar Association’s Employment & Labor Law Committee
January 7, 2014
Ethan O’Shea Presents at Montgomery Bar Association on Labor and Employment Law
August 21, 2013
EMPLOYMENT ALERT: Revised I-9 Form
April 24, 2013
Eight Lawyers Selected as “Awesome Attorneys” by Suburban Life Magazine
January 1, 2013
HRMM&L Attorneys, Staff and Paralegals Donate a Saturday to “Wills for Heroes”
October 17, 2012
ALERT: EEOC Enforcement Guidance on Consideration of Arrest and Conviction Records in Employment Decisions
June 15, 2012