Stacy J. Wert
John Walko is a member of the firm’s Municipal Law, Real Estate Law, Medical Marijuana, and Criminal Defense departments. John serves as the Solicitor for Narberth Borough and the Montgomery County Recorder of Deeds, Deputy Solicitor for Upper Merion Township and East Whiteland Township, and assists with the firm’s other municipal clients. In addition, John’s practice includes the representation of developers, landowners, and tenants related to residential, commercial, medical marijuana, and institutional/religious land uses, sales, and agreements.
John previously served as a Montgomery County District Attorney where he formed a reputation as an honest, skilled and prepared trial attorney. In 2011, John was promoted to Captain of Economic Crimes for Montgomery County, where he worked with federal, state and local law enforcement to investigate and prosecute complex financial crimes. In 2014, John was voted “Best of MontCo” in The Times Herald newspaper in three separate categories, Criminal Defense, Personal Injury and Wills & Estates, and he still assists clients with criminal defense and estate planning needs. More recently, John was selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers Rising Stars Edition in the area of State, Local & Municipal Law for 2016, 2017, and 2018.
Originally a native of Western Pennsylvania, he now resides with his wife and family in Abington Township, where he serves as the appointed Hearing Officer for the Abington Township Red Light Camera program.
- Municipal Law
- Zoning and Land Use
- Criminal Defense
- Estate Planning
- Medical Marijuana
- West Virginia University (B.A., summa cum laude, 2002)
- Bryn Athyn College (A.A., 2000, M.A. 2003)
- Villanova University School of Law (J.D., 2007)
- United States Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Simple Will, HRMM&L Legal Spotlight, June 20, 2018.
- Streamlined Notary Acknowledgements Take Effect, HRMM&L Legal Spotlight, October 25, 2017.
- Zoned Here for the Beer, HRMM&L Legal Spotlight, August 29, 2017.
- Presenter, Law Seminars International, August 25, 2017.
- Don’t Bogart that Medical Marijuana Permit: How to Respond to a Denial Notice, HRMM&L Legal Spotlight, June 20, 2017
- Medical Marijuana Legislation and the Impact on Municipalities, Presenter, Montgomery County Association of Township Officials (MCATO), February 24, 2017.
- Municipal Planning for Medical Marijuana, Co-Presenter, Association for Pennsylvania Municipal Management, January 27, 2017.
- What’s In a Name? HRMM&L Legal Spotlight, October 31, 2016
- Medical Marijuana Legislation Update, Co-Presenter, Montgomery County Zoning Officers Association, September 14, 2016.
- Pennsylvania’s Medical Marijuana Act, Presenter, Berks County Inns of Court, September 12, 2016.
- Lessons from South of the Pennsylvania Border: Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Applicants Can Learn from Maryland’s Selections, HRMM&L Legal Spotlight, September 8, 2016
- “‘Moran’ Decision Has Big Implications for Municipal Officials,” coauthor in The Legal Intelligencer, March 17, 2015. Link to article can be found here.
- “‘Moran’ Decision Has Big Implications for Municipal Officials,” coauthor in Pennsylvania Law Weekly, March 2015.
- Murder at the Commonwealth: An Overview of Criminal Homicide, CLE, in conjunction with the High School Mock Trial District Competition, Montgomery County Courthouse, February 2015.
- Regular presenter to local high schools, colleges, and law schools on the topics of civics, persuasive speech, courtroom conduct, and the judicial system.
Professional and Civic Memberships
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Montgomery Bar Association
- Pennsylvania District Attorneys Association, 2008-2013
- Montgomery County Child Advocacy, Board of Advisors, 2011-2013
- Bryn Athyn College / Academy of the New Church, Board of Trustees, 2012-2015
- Abington Health Foundation Business Council, Board Member
- Montgomery County LGBT Business Council, Board Member
Honors and Awards
- Named to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars Edition for 2016, 2017, 2018
- Voted The Times Herald‘s “Best of MontCo” for Criminal Defense, Personal Injury, and Wills & Estates
- 2010 and 2012 Commendations from the Montgomery County District Attorney for Homicide and Hit and Run Resulting in Death trials and convictions
- 2013 Recognition Award from the Abington Township Board of Commissioners and Police Department for his dedicated legal service to the community.
- Villanova Law Pro Bono Service Award Recipient (2007)
Eight Hamburg, Rubin, Mullin, Maxwell & Lupin Attorneys Receive Recognition from Peers
May 31, 2017
John Walko Presents on Medical Marijuana Legislation at Montgomery County Association of Township Officials Spring Convention
March 14, 2017
Three Hamburg, Rubin, Mullin, Maxwell & Lupin Attorneys Present Medical Marijuana Legislation Update to Montgomery County Zoning Officers Association
September 22, 2016
Eight Hamburg, Rubin, Mullin, Maxwell & Lupin Attorneys Named to 2016 Super Lawyers List
May 17, 2016
HRMM&L In Brief April 2016 Issue
March 31, 2016
John Walko Appointed Solicitor to Montgomery County Recorder of Deeds
January 22, 2016
Joe McGrory and John Walko Speak at Montgomery County Zoning Officers Association Luncheon
June 10, 2015
Firm Appointed Solicitor for Borough of Narberth, Montgomery County
April 13, 2015
Joe McGrory and John Walko Co-Author Article on Moran Decision
March 17, 2015
John Walko Presents CLE on Pennsylvania’s Criminal Homicide Laws
February 19, 2015
John F. Walko Joins Firm
December 15, 2014