Paul Mullin is a Principal of the firm and a member of the Real Estate and Zoning Department, the Medical Marijuana Department and the Municipal Law Department. Paul has represented all forms of development clients, as well as municipal clients, in the land development arena. Paul’s diverse client base and background give him the understanding of all perspectives of a real estate transaction which permits him to recognize and troubleshoot potential issues to best serve his clients.
In the area of zoning, land use and development, Paul has represented a variety of corporate, individual and municipal clients in all forms of zoning and land use proceedings governed by the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code to enable them to fully utilize their respective properties. Such representation has resulted in approvals and recommendations from not only the local governing bodies, zoning hearing boards and planning commissions, but also State agencies involved in the development process, such as the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection. Paul’s representation has run the gamut from obtaining land development approvals for a national hotel chain to obtaining zoning relief for a municipal water tank to obtaining pool variances for individuals.
In the area of medical marijuana, Paul has advised his clients on the rapidly developing laws and regulations governing Pennsylvania’s emerging medical marijuana industry with a particular focus on the land use and zoning regulations governing medical marijuana facilities. To that end, Paul has obtained zoning approvals for both medical marijuana growing/ processing facilities and dispensaries. As Pennsylvania’s Medical Marijuana Act continues to evolve and be implemented, Paul will continue to advise those who have obtained permits or those seeking permits on how the changes may impact their facilities.
In the area of municipal law, Paul currently serves as solicitor to four municipal authorities. He has advised his respective boards on various legal matters including personnel and employment matters, condemnation, litigation, bidding and billing regulations and Right-To-Know requests. He has developed a niche in areas governed by the Pennsylvania Municipality Authorities Act, specifically sanitary sewer and water related matters, and has lectured on and written articles pertaining to Federal and State legislation related thereto.
- Municipal Law
- Real Estate
- Zoning and Land Use
- Medical Marijuana
- Villanova University School of Law (J.D. 2002)
- University of Scranton (with honors B.A. 1998)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
Paul has been published on multiple occasions in The Authority magazine on various topics, including personnel and litigation matters. Paul has spoken before several local agencies, including the Montgomery County Zoning Officers Association, on topics ranging from the application of new case law to the practice of zoning and land development to litigation and enforcement matters related thereto.
Professional and Civic Memberships
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Montgomery Bar Association
- Member, Real Estate/Land Use Committee
- Past Vice-Chair, Municipal Law Committee
- Member, Municipal Law Committee
- Hatfield Borough Zoning Hearing Board
- Pennsylvania Municipal Authorities Association
- Home Builders Association of Montgomery and Bucks Counties
Honors and Awards
In 2006, 2008, 2010 and 2012, Law & Politics and the publishers of Philadelphia Magazine included Paul as a Pennsylvania Rising Star, as listed in the “Pennsylvania Rising Stars Super Lawyers” publication. No more than 2.5 percent of the lawyers in the state who are 40 or younger, or who have been practicing for ten years or less, are named to the list.
Paul was born and raised in Montgomery County and currently lives in Hatfield Borough. Over the years, Paul has developed strong ties to the local community, except for its sports teams, as Paul is an avid Red Sox and Packers fan.
- Obtained subdivision and land development approval for a municipal authority client for the expansion of its sanitary sewer treatment and obtained all regulatory permits, including those with the Department of Environmental Protection, related thereto.
- Coordinated with the Department of Environmental Protection, a local landfill and his municipal client regarding the implementation of Act 101 regulations for the utilization of the landfill.
- Negotiated the purchase of a municipal water system for a municipal client and handled all settlement matters related thereto, including the purchase of all real estate and assets.
- Successfully obtained easement rights for a municipal authority through agricultural lands via the eminent domain process.
- Successfully represented a group of homeowners in a fees dispute regarding improper sanitary sewer and water charges with a local municipality.
PA Dept of Health Issues Permit Applications for Medical Marijuana Facilities
January 19, 2017
So You Want to Open a Medical Marijuana Facility… Now What? Real Estate and Zoning Considerations for Medical Marijuana Facilities
August 9, 2016
Three Attorneys Elected to Partnership
April 30, 2014
Eight Lawyers Selected as “Awesome Attorneys” by Suburban Life Magazine
January 1, 2013