Is there natural gas located under your property?
If you live or own land in Northeastern Pennsylvania, there is a possibility that your property sits on the Marcellus Shale – one of the largest natural gas reserves in the country. If you own property in Bradford, Susquehanna, Tioga, Potter, Columbia, Lycoming, Sullivan, Lackawanna or Wyoming Counties, you probably have been hearing a lot about gas development in your area and its possible impact on you and your family. You may have questions like:
- What rights do I have to the gas on my land?
- Is it worth anything?
- May I lease rights to the gas to energy companies and if so, on what terms?
- When and under what circumstances will my lease terminate?
- Should I agree to a pipeline on my land and what protections do I need?
- Are there tax consequences?
- How can my rights and financial returns under a gas lease be passed onto my children and grandchildren?
- How can I protect my property and natural resources from damage and environmental harm if the energy companies come and dig on my property?
Property owners have been coming to us for years to get answers to these very legal questions – and for good reason. They know we can help.
Our Gas and Leasing Development Group is made up of some of the finest lawyers in the state whose singular goal is to help affected landowners secure the most favorable leasing and development agreements possible with gas companies and to protect their property rights and value. To us, it is all about the result.
How we can help. NOW
Our Group has the depth, knowledge and experience to:
- Negotiate and review leasing/development agreements with the gas companies and evaluate existing leases to determine if they have been violated;
- Ensure that gas companies have complied with environmental permits, and if incidents occur, handle claims on behalf of property owners;
- Explore favorable tax and estate planning options involving the leases;
- Ensure that any conflict or litigation that may result is handled expeditiously; and
- Work with and advise municipalities with respect to the appropriate scope and manner of regulation and oversight they may impose on gas development activity in their area.
We are not aware of any other law firm in the state that offers a multi-pronged approach at assisting property owners. The gas companies have high powered lawyers working for them. We want to be working for you. Please contact Merle Ochrach or any member of the team now at 215-661-0400.
Gas Leasing and Development Group Team Members
Doug Zeiders has been with the firm for nearly 30 years and co-chairs the Litigation Department. He is responsible for overseeing all litigation matters handled by the firm and has experience, knowledge and resources that will be used to handle conflicts of litigation related to oil, gas and mineral rights, leasing disputes and other property rights concerns. Click here to read more…
Jon Samel, for the past 30 years, has successfully combined his practical experience in business law, estate planning, asset protection planning, real estate law and financing matters with a detailed technical knowledge of tax law to assist hundreds of clients in Pennsylvania. Jon has substantial experience in the area of preparing agreements which are designed to minimize taxes and preserve wealth. Click here to read more…
Merle Ochrach has been practicing real estate law for over twenty years. She represents landowners with regard to oil and gas leases. She helps them determine appropriate ownership, works through title issues and negotiates leases to protect the long term interests of the property owner. Click here to read more…
Mark Himsworth is a litigation partner who for more than twenty years has been protecting the rights of property owners. Mark is the go-to attorney to mount effective strategies when fights over natural gas rights arise. In a recent court case, Mark was successful at securing the rights of a property owner whose royalties from natural gas rights at least doubled. Click here to read more…
Steve Hann is the Chair of the firm’s Environmental Law practice. He has over 20 years of experience in every facet of a wide ranging environmental law practice. Steve provides clients with experienced counseling to property owners on leasing, environmental and regulatory compliance issues associated with the aspects of real estate transactions, and more. Click here to read more…
Members of the GLAD team routinely speak to members of the community on various aspects of the Shale’s impact on landowners, realtors, surveyors, businesses and more. If you or your group would be interested in having a member of our team come talk to you, please contact Merle Ochrach at 215-661-0400 or MOchrach@HRMML.com.