Ethan O’Shea is a Principal of the firm and has been a member of the Litigation Department at Hamburg, Rubin, Mullin, Maxwell & Lupin for 18 years. He currently chairs the firm’s Employment Law Group. His practice focuses on employment law, commercial litigation, and criminal law. Ethan has counseled corporate and individual clients on a variety of employment, commercial and criminal matters. Ethan also appears regularly before the PA Human Relations Commission, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and has tried cases in the federal and state courts throughout Pennsylvania. Prior to joining the firm, Ethan was a Senior Deputy District Attorney with the Bucks County District Attorney’s Office, where he served as a member of the Child and Sexual Abuse Unit and prosecuted a wide variety of criminal cases in the Court of Common Pleas. Before joining the District Attorney’s Office, Ethan served as a Law Clerk for The Honorable Edward G. Biester, Jr., Bucks County Court of Common Pleas. Ethan is a member of the Pennsylvania, Bucks and Montgomery Bar Associations. He has lectured for the Pennsylvania Municipal Authorities Association, Montgomery Bar Association and People’s Law School concerning employment law and employment law. Ethan is secretary of the Montgomery Bar Association Trial Lawyers Section, chair of the Montgomery Bar Association Employment Law Committee, and past vice-chair of the Criminal Defense Committee. Ethan serves as Secretary of the Plymouth Community Ambulance Association, has been a volunteer for Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Montgomery County and Bucks County, and has served as a board member for the Montgomery County Victim-Offender Conferencing program. A graduate of Bucknell University with a degree in International Relations (B.A. 1990), Ethan received his J.D. from The George Washington University National Law Center in 1993. In 2003, he attended the Academy of Advocacy of Temple University.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a professional corporation in a suit filed by a former employee alleging age discrimination.
- Assisted medical device manufacturing company in successful defense of employment discrimination claim.
- Obtained defense verdict for principals of construction consulting firm against a claim made under Pennsylvania’s Wage Payment and Collection Law.
- Obtained a confidential 6-figure settlement from a multinational pharmaceutical company for an employee resulting from the company’s violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Successfully negotiated a guilty plea in a case where the defendant husband was charged with the aggravated assault of his wife resulting in serious brain injuries. Following extensive negotiations with the District Attorney, the client pled guilty to only a misdemeanor and received six months’ non-reporting probation.
- Successfully represented a defendant charged with various firearm offenses, including Persons Not to to Possess a Firearm, Possession of a Firearm with an Altered Manufacturer’s Number, Criminal Use of a Communication Facility and Conspiracy. Following arguments on several pretrial motions to suppress evidence and a non-jury trial, client was acquitted on the aforementioned charges.
- Represented numerous criminal defendants in a variety of felony and misdemeanor cases.
- Obtained not-guilty verdict following a jury trial on all felony charges for a client charged with numerous offenses in a high-profile assault case.
- Obtained not-guilty verdict following a non-jury trial for client wrongfully accused of assaulting estranged spouse.
- Successfully argued pre-trial motions leading to the dismissal of charges against numerous clients because of unlawful searches and violations of the Rules of Criminal Procedure.
- Negotiated guilty pleas on behalf of many clients leading to a reduction of charges and/or reduction of sentence.
Title Insurance Defense
- Represent mortgage lenders in various actions to establish the validity and/or priority of the clients’ mortgages, and represent property owners to defend claims against title.
- In a case of first impression in Pennsylvania, successfully obtained a judgment on behalf of a mortgage lender against a competing lender whose mortgage was declared void due to an improper notarization of the loan documents.
- Social Security Administration and “No Match” Letters|
- Ethan O’Shea Presents 2018 James P. Fox Trial Lawyer of the Year Award to Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin R. Steele|
- HRMM&L to Host “Don’t Get Caught in the Weeds – Employer Do’s and Don’ts Under the PA Medical Marijuana Act” August 15, 2018|
- Four HRMM&L Attorneys Participate in Community Reading Day|
- Sexual Harassment: It Could Happen to You|
- Sexual Harassment: It Could Happen To You|
- How Much Is Too Much? [FMLA And More]|
- Good News For The Unaware Employer|
- Supreme Court Rules That Former Employees Have No Right To Review Their Personnel Files|
- United States Court of Appeals Applies Civil Rights Protections to the LGBT Community|
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
- The George Washington University Law School, (J.D.1993)
- Bucknell University (B.A.1990)
- Goldsmiths’ College, University of London, Fall Semester 1988
- Academy of Advocacy, Temple University, Summer 2003
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Bucks County Bar Association
- Montgomery Bar Association
- Secretary, Trial Lawyers Section (2015)
- Montgomery Bar Association
- Chair, Employment and Labor Law Committee (Current)
- Vice-Chair, Employment and Labor Law Committee (2007)
- Member, Employment and Labor Law Committee (2005, 2007-Current)
- Vice-Chair, Criminal Defense Committee (2010)
- Member, Criminal Defense Committee (2000-Current)
- Radnor Youth Soccer Program – Coach
- Plymouth Community Ambulance Association Board of Directors
- Current Secretary
- Montgomery County Victim-Offender Conferencing Program
- Past Board member
Publications & Speeches
- Sexual Harassment: It Could Happen to You, HRMM&L Legal Spotlight, December 6, 2017
- How Much is Too Much? [FMLA and More], HRMM&L Legal Spotlight, October 10, 2017
- Good News for the Unaware Employer, HRMM&L Legal Spotlight, October 6, 2017
- Supreme Court Rules that Former Employees Have No Right to Review Their Personnel Files, HRMM&L Legal Spotlight, July 27, 2017
- To Catch a Thief: Understanding the World of Trade Secrets and Making Non-Competes Work for You,” HRMM&L Business Advisory Group Seminar, June 21, 2017
- “Supreme Court Rules that Former Employees Have No Right to Review Their Personnel Files,” HRMM&L Business Advisory Group website, June 20, 2017
- United States Court of Appeals Applies Civil Rights Protection to the LGBT Community, HRMM&L Legal Spotlight, April 7, 2017
- Sexual Orientation Now Protected Under Title VII, HRMM&L Legal Spotlight, December 14, 2016
- Federal Judge Blocks DOL’s Overtime Regulations, HRMM&L Legal Spotlight, November 28, 2016
- DOL’s Overtime Regulations Set to Take Effect December 1, 2016, HRMM&L Legal Spotlight, October 12, 2016
- Pennsylvania’s Personnel Files Act is Under Review, HRMM&L Legal Spotlight, August 8, 2016
- Dept. of Labor Announces Final Overtime Rule Re Overtime Regulations, HRMM&L Business Advisory Group website, June 30, 2016
- DOL Announces Final Overtime Rule Re Overtime Regulations, HRMM&L Legal Spotlight, June 29, 2016
- EEOC Files Sexual Orientation Discrimination Lawsuits, HRMM&L Business Advisory Group website, March 9, 2016
- Legal Alert: Volunteers for Christmas, HRMM&L Business Advisory Group website, December 10, 2015
- The Perils of Independent Contractor Misclassifications, Employee Background Checks, and Workplace Investigations, CLE seminar presenter, Montgomery Bar Association, August 21, 2013
- Criminal Culpability for Unintended Acts and Consequences, CLE seminar presenter, Montgomery Bar Association, January 29, 2013
- EEOC Enforcement Guidance on Consideration of Arrest and Conviction Records in Employment Decisions, HRMML Employment Law Alert, June 15, 2012
- Lecturer, Identity Theft Issues, employee group of a local business
- Lecturer, Criminal and Employment Law
- People’s Law School re Pennsylvania Criminal Procedure
- Pennsylvania Municipal Authorities Association and Montgomery Bar Association re Family Medical Leave Act.
Honors & Awards
- Listed as “Awesome Attorney” for Criminal Defense, DWI/DUI, Traffic Law, and Employment/Labor Law, Suburban Life Magazine, 2012
Ethan is an avid soccer, tennis and platform-tennis player, and is active with his three children’s PTO and community youth sports programs.